That guitar of Ginger’s you can win.

Chris | 24th September 2013

I was thinking about it before and, as the self-designated King Of Boring Stuff About Pedals Etc, I thought I would tell you a bit about Ginger’s guitar, which one of you lucky pledgsters will win come December.

People who aren’t interested in guitars – please tune out now. (I wouldn’t blame you)

It’s a Hagstrom Viking Deluxe. Hagstrom may not be a hugely familiar name to everyone, but they’ve been making brilliant and interesting electric guitars since the fifties, with big-name players including  the likes of Elvis Presley (who plays a Viking II in the ’68 Comeback Special), Pat Smear (who has a massive collection of Hagstrom guitars), Frank Zappa (who advertised them in the 70s) and Rich Jones.

This is a double cutaway, large semi-hollow-bodied guitar, which means it is louder than your average bear, due to the extra resonance that basically being built on top of a soundbox gives you (this works on the same principle putting your iPhone on top of the closed toilet lid in the bathroom to amplify the music – try it). The sound is allowed to resonate throughout the guitar, which makes for a warm and clean tone. Being ‘semi’ hollow bodied means that it has a wood block down the middle of it, which reduces the uncontrollable feedback which can be a problem when using higher-gain settings with full-hollow-body guitars (like the Gretsch White Falcon or the Gibson ES 175).

It’s fitted with two humbuckers, like a traditional Les Paul or 335 or SG, which means you get the fat rock guitar sustain, not the thinner single coil sound. This also means that there’s less buzz and less noise.

It has a speccy flamed maple top, which means it’s bright and snappy but with a tight bottom end. Matron. And a ebonol neck, which is a synthetic of ebony – this means it’s fast and hard-wearing, with a really nice thin profile.

It’s white, unlike all the other guitars you already own.

It was set up, intonated and generally Sorted Out by me.

And you will love it.

Ginger plays it (as you can see on the Pledge videos) for most of his ‘route one’ stuff on this album. That is, the bulk of the rock rhythm guitars, and a good proportion of the lead lines. I used it for a couple of my ‘drug music’ bits, the drony feedback Ebow-y stuff and some of the backwards guitars. I think it’s also the same one Ginger used on the recent ‘Earth Vs’ tour.

It’s a beauty guitar, I wouldn’t mind owning it myself!

11 responses to “That guitar of Ginger’s you can win.”

1. Mathieu Gorman says:

I will never have Ginger’s talent but if I can be inspired by his instrument maybe I can hope to get a feel of what it is like to be in his shoes.

2. willy says:

phwooooar…. could really use this!!!

I’m going to get someone that is religious/semi-religious to pray to their God/gods and I’ll be doing all that superstitious stuff (e.g. crossed fingers)

After all it’s “white” and I haven’t got a white one!

All said and done, a nice 335 tone and it’s Hagstrom… what’s not to love!!!!

Please Gog… please Gog!!!! let it be me!!!

Whoever gets it is gonna have a blast!

Good luck everyone!

3. Damien says:

“It’s a beauty guitar, I wouldn’t mind owning it myself!”

I wouldn’t mind owning it either….. !

4. matt says:

That was like listening to the guitar version of Shades of Grey (I assume) …. sounds sexy, and I want it!

5. SJB says:

When I was a kid there was a Christmas fete every year at my school and the central event was always the Christmas raffle. I would buy books of tickets in the hope of winning something and my gran always gave me some money to buy her a couple of tickets.

I never once won a single thing in that raffle and virtually without fail my gran would win something, year after year. Once, she won a pink Walkman and gave it to my sister who didn’t even buy a ticket for the raffle. I didn’t care it was pink, I was still gutted I never got that Walkman.

I just thought I’d point out that this experience has not scarred me mentally in any way and the feeling of complete hopelessness regarding winning this guitar is purely coincidental.

6. Uncle Todd says:

Will an under the table donation help my chances? :)

7. Ginger says:

My Missus has Pledged for the album, as has her Mum and Dad. My Mum too.

How brilliant would it be if we won it?

8. Kris says:

Well we might think it a bit of a fix. Aren’t there terms and conditions on these competitions? 😉

9. Chris says:

I pledged as well you know. It Could Be Mine.

10. Harvz says:

To play the guitar used in the ‘Earth vs’ anniversary shows would be nothing short of unbelievable, given I and undoubtedly others were but feet away >:-)

11. Mustafa says:

Just found your side googling anorud and by the way, many thanks for your very helpfull posts! I’ve 1 doubt regarding superior drummer and wondering if you can help me.While using The Metal Foundry pack, i liked the option of The Metal Foundry Mix istead of Default . However it’s stereo (1/2 channel only) when i choose multi-out option, all the equalization, filters and compretion that made sound nice on Superior Drummer via Buses do not goes to my DAW (Sonar 8.5) how can i manage that? I mentioned somenthing about auxiliary channels but i didn’t get that, Many thanks in advance for your time!!!!!